Crayfish / West Coast Rock Lobster collecting : All you need to know
For many summer in the Western Cape is synonomous with crayfish and the culture around collecting and preparing this seafood delicacy but with only 12 days allocated to the season for 2019/2020, we plan to make the most of it.
Dates for Crayfish Season 2019/2020
The season starts on Saturday 30 November 2019 and ends on Saturday 11 April 2020. Let’s hope the sea conditions are favourable on the allocated dates:
- 30 November 2019 to 1 December 2019
- 14 December 2019 to 15 December 2019
- 21 December 2019 to 22 December 2019
- 26 Decmber 2019
- 1 January 2020
- 4 January 2020 to 5 January 2020
- 10 April 2020 to 11 April 2020
Restrictions and regulations
- Anyone over the age of 12 years are legally bound to obtain a permit from any branch of the post office to collect crayfish on the allocated dates (cost of permit is R94).
- Total bag limit is 4 crayfish per person
- Mimimum size is a carapace length of at least 80mm
- Transporting is only allowed if the permit holder is present and animals must be kept in a whole state.
Jasus lalandii is commonly known as West Coast rock lobster, spiny lobster, crayfish or kreef